Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Faster Than A Speeding..........City Bus?

So, riding home from drill on Sunday, I picked up a city bus about a mile from base. He blew by me and I took advantage of the draft allowing me to effortlessly pedal above average speed. Then he stopped and picked up some passengers, and I flew by him. I played leap frog with him before pulling firmly away at about the 5 mile mark. So it is pretty cool, that on a low traffic Sunday, I can at least keep pace with the city bus, without blowing signals, or unsafe riding. Just riding along stopping at red lights and cruising at around 18 mph. The funny thing is I ride past people with bikes at the bus stop waiting to take the bus! All the time I see bikes in the rack on the buses cruising by. If they only knew they could make better time across town just pedalling! If you include time spent waiting then switching and waiting again, trying to get across town, cycling is probably twice as fast.....and waaaay better for you....plus my bike doesn't smell like pee!
On another pathetic and sad note, today was international bike to work day. I was unaware, and decided to sit on the couch for an extra 20 minutes and drive in instead. In my defense, I had a long weekend with drill and riding to work, then having my annual fitness test, then a bit to time trial practice, all on Sunday, I just felt tired. So I drove. I did manage to pull off a 10:44 for my 1.5 mile run. I know it isn't the greatest, but it was good enough to be first in my group. Plus I wasn't the youngest kid in the pack either! Another point is that I have barely racked up 200 miles miles on the Boxster this year! Yes after four full months, I've managed to drive 50 miles average a month! So, the one day I don't ride is the day the rest of the world does! I'm such a tool!
So, I took the Giant Bowery over to "Chucky's" house this weekend so he can get started riding. Of course he proceeded to stick in the back of the garage behind cardboard boxes and Christmas lights. This may be an exaggeration, but I'm wondering how long before he takes it out for a spin. Maybe we should take a poll. Okay then, I'm out!

5 comments:

  1. First - I'm impressed by your speed to keep up with the city bus and totally agree that it's silly to see the bikes hooked on the bus instead of the people actually just riding their bikes.

    Second - I think it's completely amusing that of all days that you don't ride your bike to work like you usually do it's international ride your bike to work day! HaHa! The thought did cross my mind though that it was okay for you to drive that day as it would/should have been the opposite of everyone else since you actually ride your bike daily.

    Third - "Chucky" hasn't touched the bike since you brought it over, BUT since he was at drill with you and also had the PT test, I'll cut him a tad of slack...that is until later this week. Oh and seeing that his wife (me) has him tied up with watching the kids tonight and tomorrow, and there isn't a bike trailer to attach to the bike, he'll have to wait to touch it until at least Thursday.

    By the way - I'm very glad to see a new post on here! Keep up the good blogging! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going say you won't get "Chucky" out riding til the end of May. This weekend is the garage sale, Sun is Mother's day; then next Sat. is Miss "C" third birthday party soooo maybe there is that Sun but I will still stick with the end of the month.
    I'm enjoying reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. BTW, in case you're wondering, that Anonymous comment is from my mom.

    I literally laughed aloud at the fact that you drove your car on international bike to work day. I told you you have a humorous writing style! Either that, or I just like to laugh at you. Keep writing, I'm really enjoying the reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thought I'd give you a quick update - "Chucky" took the bike for a spin last night! Granted it was for a family bike ride, so his speed wasn't much as Big Boy's legs can't pedal as fast or as much as us. BUT - he did get it out of the garage and try it out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I probably shouldn't have told you about Int'l Ride Your Bike to Work Day, but it made for a pretty funny post!

    We'll have to take "Chucky" out riding this weekend.

    ReplyDelete