Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Two Tme Trials One Weekend!

Well, I know it has been too long since my last post, and I've promised my loyal followers (all three!) to continue posting. This weekend was my birthday weekend (36th), and I thought it would be fun to schedule two time trials. Saturday morning was the Team time trial with the Fresno Cycling Club, and Sunday was the Fiesta Island time trial down in San Diego. The plan was to run Fresno Saturday morning then make the quick 6.5 hour drive to San Diego, spend the night, then run on Sunday morning, then just zip back to Fresno. Well I guess I'll get right to it!
So, Friday night after work, I switched out my chain, brake pads and wheels to the race stuff while watching a terrible French horror movie with English subtitles! Then I went to bed to get up at six on Saturday for the team time trial. Six o'clock may not seem terribly early, but for a swing shifter that usually gets to bed about two in the morning it is quite a feat! So, Saturday morning, I get up, get loaded up and head out to the meeting point. We were supposed to meet at a location removed from the time trial and ride in to warm up and get in the riding groove before to event started. When everybody else at the meeting point found their teams and rode away, I was standing there with nobody there to ride with me! I got a bit worried and grabbed my phone and noticed I had a voicemail. To make a long story slightly less long, we had a rider drop, and the rest had stayed home because you need all four. I just wish I would have got the word before I left the house! So, one time trial down and no miles on the bike! I guess that's why I like individual time trials better. I need only to depend on myself to show up! So, on to San Diego for the next one!
We made it to San Diego with just enough time for a late dinner and about five hours of sleep before we needed to be up for the time trial. This is a pretty big event that seems to attract some very fast and professional looking riders, so I was looking forward to it. Here is a link. http://www.fiestaisland.com/ I think I can let the pictures take it from here!
Warming up.....hmmm what's that noise??? I guess it doesn't sound that bad!


Some of those professional looking riders! Okay riders behinds (Carolyn took the picture)

Me at the start......
And awaay we goooo!!!!

Group at speed.



Me after lap one of three. Chain was making some noise, but I shifted around a bit, and it got quieter, so I kept motoring. Something else I notice in this picture is my belly! Gross! I've gained about ten pounds since summer, and after this next time trial, I'll start working on that. Hopefully I'll lose the ten pounds again before June.

Here I am coasting in at the end of lap two of three, defeated by a mechanical issue on the bike. The noise kept getting louder at an ominous clunking had started. so I bowed out unfinished. Looks like I was on pace for about 33 minutes for 20k. I was happy with the way my heart rate was going, as I kept it in control at right at 92% of max. what a bummer!



So here is the problem! When I put the chain on I somehow routed the chain on the outside of the derailleur cage. If you look closely the chain portion that is farthest right, should be routed to the left of the tab it is riding on. As I rode it was grinding away at the cage getting louder and louder, nearly destroying a Dura Ace derailleur in the process! What a waste of two time trials! We did like the Fiesta Island time trial for several reasons so we hope to get back, but they all seem to fall on Drill weekends! We'll get back pretty soon I hope! Thursday is the usual Belmont time trial again so I will make that and I will run good! I hope.......








2 comments:

  1. First - Happy belated Birthday! :)
    Second - Awesome pics - Carolyn did a great job! I especially like the butt pic (wink, wink!)
    Third - I'm very proud of you for getting out and signing up for the time trials. Yes it sucks that the Saturday morning trial didn't work out but at least you were motivated! As for the San Deigo ride, it sounds awesome and you were doing great - too bad about the mechanical problem.

    All in all sounds like a fun weekend! Good luck with the ride on Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not your belly I noticed in that picture at all. It was the port-a-potty! Great technique! Your wife is definately not a photographer.

    I can't wait to try Fiesta Island again!

    Great post baby!

    ReplyDelete