Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Way Late Update, Belmont Time Trial

Hello, and sorry for the delay writing an update! I will have another update on the happenings of the Great Western Bike Rally in Paso Robles very shortly! As for the Belmont Time Trial it went okay. I ended up about thirty seconds of my usual pace, but there was a stiff breeze slowing me big time on the way back. You would think that a tailwind on the way out would null the effects of the headwind going back, but it never seems to work out that way. I went with a friend from work, and I think he enjoyed it, and has plans to be back for next weeks run. I was running about 27-28mph on the way out and that was really fun, but I seem to get flying like that and end up running way past my max sustainable heart rate. My heart rate was running upwards of 96% of max which works out to about 182. With the headwind, and my lack of keeping my heart rate down, slowed my pace to around 17mph coming back. about 3/4 of the way back, you always ask why again, have I decided to torture myself again?

Carolyn came out to cheer me on, but didn't arrive until after I started, but she managed to snap a quick picture of my suffering at the end.




Of course you can't really see the suffering on my face, so with the help of top secret government image enhancing software previously seen only on episodes of 24 you can see what looks like a peaceful almost happy look. I can't figure this out, but it is how I seem to look in all of these pictures when I'm focusing on staying alive, and breathing without passing out. I don't get it. Check it out.





On to the bike build. The Masi is about finished. All I'm lacking is a cassette, pedals, and final assembly. It is starting to look really good. Since it was my birthday recently, and I received some gift certificates to Nashbar.com and splurged on a set of Easton EA 90 wheels which are very light hand built and sensible wheels with nothing exotic about them. This is a departure from the norm for me, but I'm happy with them none the less. I also put on a pair of red treaded Continental Ultra Race tires. It is definitely flashy in a confident Italian sort of way. You can be the judge though! Here is a few pics of the current state of the Masi.

















I have another picture of me doing what I do best, thanks again Carolyn for capturing the true me!


3 comments:

  1. Which one of those monkeys is my husband? It's hard to tell!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The new bike is looking awesome! Not that I know anything about bikes and parts and all, but it still looks cool and is even better since it will be a unique one of a kind. Hmmmm...kinda like it's rider! :)

    Hmmm...as far as the monkey pic, I think the one on the far left must be Carolyn's hubby, or could it be the one covering his eyes, I'm not too sure. Maybe you should come with us on a trip to the zoo to visit your family, hehehe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really impressed that you're keeping up with the riding and the blogging. (Since I don't blog at all, I consider a new post every few weeks to count as 'keeping up'.) Looking forward to more!

    ReplyDelete