Monday, April 27, 2009

Another Boring Post

I haven't really had any big cycling news, so I guess I can fill in with some mundane stuff. I don't even have any pictures! I was supposed to do a little practice for a team time trial coming up on May 9Th. (My birthday!), but it turns out 50% of my team is out of commission at the moment. I have my doubts we'll make the date, let alone get a practice in. SO instead I went out on the "Golden Arrow" that's the gold Transition Expert time trial bike, and put 40 training miles on. Things went, well and I was able to keep the heart rate at 140 average, and run an average of 17.6 mph. considering traffic lights getting out of and back in town, I consider that a success. It also highlighted my need for a better pair of cycling shorts. If I have learned a thousand times before, you get what you pay for!
Progress on the Masi is going slow but good. My Reynolds Ouzo Pro all carbon fork came in and compliments the frame beautifully. I won a set of Dura ace 7700 brakes from Ebay. for 56 bucks with shipping! They are a bit older, but weigh basically the same as brand new Ultegra brakes (about 320 grams). When I add the Jagwire carbon cartriges with Ti hardware, they will probably weigh in at around 290-300 grams. I've decided to run the old standard of 26.0mm handlebars. After a bit of research, the smaller diameter is usually lighter and stiffer, and most likely what the bike came with new, although 26.0 bars are still used( my Country Road Bob has 26's). I've got my eye on a pair of Kestrel carbon kevlar bars that have yellow and red accents, that will match the bike perfectly! Of course when I cover all that with bar tape who will know! If I get the bars and a Syntace f-99 stem, the combo will weigh less than 300 grams! SO, I'm well on my way to finishing a very light high performance Italian road bike! Cost so far is $782.05. In that total is all shipping charges, and includes frame, carbon fork, ceramic bearing bottom bracket, seatpost, and brakes.
Well, Im out!
Darren

2 comments:

  1. No your posts are NOT boring! While the biking stuff goes right over my head, you still manage to amuse me! Plus I love keeping tabs on you and Carolyn when we don't talk during the week. Hope you're birthday ride goes well and hope to see you guys this weekend perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
  2. How much longer til the next "boring" post?

    ReplyDelete