Monday, April 20, 2009

It's Here! Lackluster Time Trial.

It arrived! What a beautiful frame. I can't believe this is a five year old frame! The previous owner took such good care of this bike that it doesn't hardly look used. The Masi is an Italian bike manufactured with the precision and flair usually reserved for Ferrari and Lamborghini! Now the quest to get it built up will begin. It did come with a bottom bracket with ceramic bearings, FSA headset, and a really nice Thompson seat post, so I guess the next step will be to acquire a fork. I've got a couple in mind, but I'm eyeballing a Reynolds Ouzo Pro full carbon fork. It is going cheap on ebay because it is cut for a smaller frame, so there is little interest. The good part though, is it will fit mine perfectly! I typically under bid and get beat to the punch, but sometimes I get lucky! If I get lucky, I can have a frame and fork of this caliber for possibly less than 700 bucks! I know that seems like a lot, but Bought new, this set up could approach 2000 bucks! I'm hoping to get this fully built with at least Ultegra components for less that 2000 dollars. Now for the not so fun news.
I ran the first Belmont Time Trial of the season on Thursday. This time trial is put on by Fresno Cycling Club http://www.fresnocycling.com/, and has been great fun, if you can call 30 minutes of pure torture fun. Back in October, I ran my first one to establish a baseline time before I started training over the winter. Well I trained hard from October through February almost religiously, then I started slacking off in recent weeks. I figure I took off about 6-8 weeks with almost no training save for commuting to work, and weekend fun rides with Carolyn. For my first ever time trial I ran a pretty respectable 26:43 which works out to 22.45 miles per hour average. I was pretty happy with that, but there were lots of better times by people without time trial bikes, so I started working to better that time. So after everything I did this winter, including buying light, aero wheels and a pointy helmet I ran a dissapointing time of 26:39 averaging 22.51 miles per hour average. I meager 4 seconds improvement! So, That was pretty terrible, but when I do the calculation I beat myself by 132 feet. 132 feet over the course of 10 miles is nothing! I have nothing to blame but myself, and I'm going to do my best to shave 39 seconds from my time to hopefully run at 23mph. Of course that means beating my current time by nearly a quarter mile. When running at the ragged edge, it is hard to imagine myself pulling away and finishing 1315 feet ahead of my last time. At the end of my run I had spiked my heart rate at 95% which works out to 180bpm. I don't know, but I need to try and improve somehow. Well, I've got nothing to say, and It's time for work, so I'm out of here!!
Darren

2 comments:

  1. Don't give up!!! Get your butt back in the saddle and train, train, train! You can do it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second that!!!! You're lovely wife knows what she's talking about - you CAN do it!!! Next time there's one close by and on a day we're around, we need to get out there and cheer you on!

    ReplyDelete