Sunday, April 12, 2009

New Acquisition, Miles, and Evil Master Plan!! Mwuhahahaha!!!

Hey all my loyal readers! Well both of you anyway! So, I have acquired a new, used road bike frame! It's a 2004 Masi Gran Criterium. This is an Italian thoroughbred made of some fancy type of aluminium. I am aware of the spelling of aluminium, but that's how the Brits say it, al⋅u⋅min⋅i⋅um. Go here to hear it! http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=aluminium&db=luna It just sounds so proper! Anyway it also has a really nice carbon rear that is supposedly magical in it's ride quality. I should hope it is base on the price! I won't tell how much, but I had a really tough time finding a good frame in my size for a reasonable sum. The plan is to build it up slowly over the next several months, entirely from Ebay, and Craigslist. We'll see how it goes!
We took the weekend to relax, and take care of a few errands. Carolyn was out of town last week on business so we thought we would stay home for Easter and slow down for just a second! This morning was beautiful and we took advantage of the weather and went for a ride. We actually left the house on our bikes instead of toting them to the park and then riding. This was really good because we got to put on some real miles and save some gas. It was a good idea too because Woodward park was packed with cars! On the bikes we just cruised right by and rode our favorite trail. All told, we rode a tick under 28 miles! That is a new best for Carolyn, and she did it without any trouble at all! Then I made her mad by announcing that the next mile stone would be 50 miles. She said I should let her enjoy this level for a while. Guess I wouldn't make a good girl, because I still have no idea what she was talking about!! So, like I was saying, 50 miles next!! Ha!!
Now for the evil plan. I've been trying to get my best good friend to hit the road riding with me. Lets call him "Chucky". "Chucky" is reluctant to spend the cash for a road bike at this stage, but I just happen to have a nice, well used Giant Bowery singlespeed that is just his size I'll bet! So here is the plan. I'll loan the Giant to "Chucky" and we can go riding on the singlespeeds together, so he can get used to the road bike geometry. Then he can save some cash while I'm building my road bike, and we can both have new road bikes about the same time! Then he can give me back my Giant and I can Blow it up with dynamite or something. Nah, just kidding, but I'm sure I can find a good use for it somewhere. So, if my evil plan works, I can get "Chucky" into cycling and I can add him to the running list of people I've convinced or forced into cycling. If I can get "Chucky" hooked that will make the total converts to Five!
Yeehaw!

3 comments:

  1. I like your evil plan to get "Chucky" riding. Good Luck. Have enjoyed reading your blog

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Next you'll have to implement said "evil" plan into action. Perhaps I can spare some time with "Chucky" this Sunday. Should I forwarn him or just let you show up with said bike and kidnap him?

    By the way - no picking on Carolyn, you're lucky she gets out there on the bike with you at all! And 28 miles is pretty awesome, even if she's a girl and all! Maybe I'll start hard trying to convert you to a scrapbooker, it's a money saving hobby too you know....although since I guess I sucked you into blogging that should suffice for now!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Any progress on the master plan? If you come to Disneyland with us you can work on convincing "Chucky" while we're there ;-)

    ReplyDelete