Thursday, March 26, 2009

Back in the saddle......on the saddle?

Well, I got back on the trainer today. I think I may know a small part of my motivation problem. I believe that the work involved in order to actually get going on the trainer may discourage me from working out. If you'll notice the first picture my workout space is covered with 2800lbs. of Zanzibar red Boxster. After I get decked out in my riding clothes minus the shoes, I have to go out and take the Boxster off the battery charger (that's how little it is driven anymore). Then hop in and pull it out of the garage, and set up the bike on the trainer. I have to check the air in the bike tires, set up the ladder, which serves as a shelf for various objects like kitchen timer for the intervals, water, and of course phone. I never hear the phone, because of the ear buds at such decibel levels, but I can see it fall off the ladder when it vibrates itself onto the floor. Of course I can't forget to set up the fan on the car wash bucket. Then it's back inside to grab Bonham's blanket and toys, so he'll stay occupied while I'm pedalling. Of course he's trying to bring me and the blanket down as I carry it outside. Back inside again to grab the Heart monitor, water, gloves, Ipod, and put on the shoes. Once all of that is done you get the next picture: Darren's Elite Full Service Time Trial Training Center! Of course you will notice that such a place requires it's own security force, the famous Bonham the Boxer mailman bouncer!
Well I guess the Point to this is, in order to train for 35 minutes minus warmup, I need to spend 35 minutes getting ready. Also everything that I did to setup has to be reversed before I can go in and take a shower! So, if I can come up with a way to streamline the process, maybe I'll be more apt to keep to the schedule, and not miss workouts! Maybe it's time to get rid of the Boxster!!
Ride Fast!

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like you need to get one of those pre-fab storage sheds to set up next to the garage as your dedicated training space. Then you could have real shelves for your cell phone to fall off. But you'll need one with a window so you can put an A/C unit in for the summer!

    ReplyDelete