Tuesday, March 24, 2009

It's a Problem of Motivation

As an aspiring time trialist, I've spend a lot of time and virtual miles on the trainer in the garage. It isn't because it is terribly cold, but the training is terribly specific and most times can't be duplicated on the road. In the begining of my training regime, (October) I had no problem keeping to the schedule. During the winter months when steam would rise from my skin, no problem there either. Now that it is sunny and perfect weather, I can't bring myself to make it into the garage set up the trainer and get moving! Maybe it's because it is so nice out, and I'd rather be out enjoying the weather, then why do I not leave the house? The Ipod has helped for quite some time now, but now it does nothing. I was very motivated until my first time trial of the season, which was the PIRU time trial in southern California. http://www.uncletren.com/ This time trial attracted some very fast people and although I finished 2nd. out of four in my class (35-45 year old regular people without licenses). My "victory" was blunted by the fact that I was a full minute out of first, and only 2 seconds out of 3rd. So it was a middle of the pack run made difficult by watching the categorised racers motoring past me. What made it worse, was the 71 year old that bested my time by more than a couple seconds! So I'm wondering if I've given up so as to not be humiliated at the next time trial? I don't know. I promise to get back onto the trainer and keep it up for the next one which is April 16th. put on by the Fresno Cycling Club. http://www.fresnocycling.com/ Plus the bonus is even if I start my training with fury, I can always blame the couple weeks off I took this month! Yes! I have an excuse! Of course I'm sure it will be windy that day too......head winds really can suck the speed huh! Is that two excuses? All right! Good to go!



On another note, here's a picture from our shopping this weekend. That's a lot of water! I've got to figure out where to put 10 more cases of water while rotating stock to use the other 10 cases of water before these! What is it with bottled water? Well for me it's the taste. I can't stomach Fresno tap water. Also I'm pretty particular about the brands of bottled water I will drink. Odd I know, but I'm sure I'm not the only one! By the way, these pictures are all just snapshots taken with Carolyn's point and shoot and not the awesome D-300 that my best bud got me such a great deal on when Circuit City still was a store!

Speaking of my best bud, I'm really trying to get him riding with me even if it's just low speed riding. Maybe if I call him out publicly he'll get out with me huh?? Well until next time......Ride fast!

2 comments:

  1. Hey you can blame the gorgeous weather, but only if you get yourself outside! As for the other excuses, well - I think you're doing terrific for not having cycling very long. Keep getting out there and having fun - that's what really counts. Who knows, maybe you'll be that old guy one day zooming past the "young" kids scores! As for your best bud, keep working on him, but remember he doesn't have a cool bike like you. He is doing really good though at his exercise routine and diet tracking he's working on. Sucks that you guys have such different schedules though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I'm called out? Well I'm free on the weekends now so we should see about riding then, though any of your bikes next to my Mtn. Bike isn't exaclty fair(unless of course we're off road). Like the blog and talk to you soon.

    ReplyDelete